Friday, May 05, 2006

Thinking about him

I wrote this poem today for my husband. He's doing a 12 week PTSD cohort at a VA hospital. I was feeling a little sad about him because we've been having some deep talks since he's been there. I wanted to post it to my online diary here...
War is never the answer. It distorts the character of good men and women who have to fight. Love will set us free. It will set the world free one day. This I have to believe.

Boystown Vietnam Vet
Born inner city bangin' to stay alive
Hopeful turn got Flanagan's big dream
Made the most of it and a life was foreseen
Drafted--his will stronger than steel
Brought back distrust was unable to feel
Entered lives of those who wanted only love
Was wrong of them to believe he ever could
Babies abandoned, never have to explain
Then she came who saw in him
a goodness distorted by pain and welcomed to life
The beautiful soul of this put-upon man
Loved him more than any could--saw in him all of his good
But he couldn't love her never no and
Finally she said, "Please go"
He knew that it was time--she and the kids would be just fine
Still a deep sadness encompassed both
And the man just sighed and left in search
of the one he's lost--Himself.

1 Comments:

At 5:32 PM, Blogger Accidental Antagonist said...

Thanks, I do appreciate feedback. I begged my husband to go online when he had opportunity, but I suspect he's a computerphobe...whatever you call it. lol
I finally had to read it to him over the phone. I've never read my poetry to anybody, it was weird.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home